Wednesday 30 November 2016

Locked Out

Well, the 'fun' never ends...ahem! 

We live in an apartment with a back door that leads to all the recycling bins in a small enclosed alleyway. Today, I was on my way down to the basement to do some laundry when I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone by throwing out some cardboard on the way. I went down to street level, left the laundry by the stairs and opened the back door to put the box in the blue bin. I noticed another box blown by the wind to an overgrown vine covered area, so leaned over the fence to retrieve it when I heard an ominous click. The wind had closed the door!

I went to open it, but it didn't budge. I had my house keys on me so looked for the key hole...no key hole. At this point, I was looking around for options. I thought of banging on the door, but no one was around except Elowyn who knew I was going down to do laundry, but who also had her headphones on and was watching videos whilst watching TV and all the windows were closed...so no help there. There was an elderly lady on the third floor, but she had gone out shopping for market day and everyone else was at work. Elowyn would have to be my salvation.

The area I was in was approx 1.5m x 4m enclosed by a high wooden fence on three sides and the wall of the apartment on the other. One fence was at waist level. I peered over at a mess of vines and the construction site of deep mud, various digging machines, piles of wood and stone and debris. I looked down at the slippers I was wearing and was fully prepared to lose them in the mud. The construction crew were in the pit pouring concrete and the din of the cement mixing truck did not bode well for someone hearing me. 

I contemplated just hanging out until someone else came home to throw out recycling, but it was only 3pm, and it would be at least 2 hours or more before people came home, and being late November, it was chilly outside and I didn't have a coat on. I heard Steven's voice in my head, 'wallet, keys, phone', and cursed having not brought my phone with me.  Lord! I didn't want to hear any, "I told you so later". 

I looked back at the fence and the vines on the other side. I didn't know what was under said vines, and was wary about stepping on something, so reached over and started to pull them out and toss them in the bio bin close by. This went on for 20 min., but now my nose was starting to run and I felt really chilled.

The construction guys were still pouring concrete all this time and were still in the pit and couldn't see me. What a dilemma. I waited another ten minutes and finally, the engines stopped and one construction dude climbed out of the pit. Knowing this might be my only chance for a long time, I yelled as loud as I could to catch his attention while waving my arms frantically.

Thank God, he heard and saw me and came over looking puzzled. Now was the moment of truth. I had been outside in the cold for 30 minutes planning my escape. I spoke in careful, if very simple German to him of my plan.

"Hallo, wie gehts?" (Hi, how are you?)

He grinned and said he was well. Then asked how I was. This was when it got dicey. I had to make him understand that I wanted him to go to the street in front of the apartment, ring the bell that said my name, K.Hille and wait for my daughter to buzz him in, then to go in, walk to the back of the apartment, open the door, and end my icebox experience. So this is what I said:

"Enschuldigen, mein Deutsch is ganz schlimm. Ich bin sehr kalt, aber Ich hat die papier und denn die tur ist geschlossen. Der ist kein schlossel. Kanst du gehe zum die Hause und klinge die Klinge bei K. Hille? Meine Tochter will anrufen, dann du kommst zuruck und ofen die tur fur mich. bitte. Okay?"

He scratched his head. Because this is what I had actually said:

"I'm sorry, my German is very bad. I am very cold, but I have the paper and the door is closed. He is not a key. Can you go home and sound the blade at K. Hille? My daughter wants to call you, then you come back and open the door for me please, okay?"

I figured hand gestures were the next order of business since he wasn't quite getting it and now the other construction guys were giving him smack and whistling and laughing and here the poor guy was trying to understand me. I repeated words this time, but didn't know the word for bell, so mimicked pressing a bell and saying bzzzzzzzzz! He got it right away this time, about the buzzer pressing thing anyway and I made motions that my daughter would open the front door on the buzz. He got out a piece of paper and wrote my name on it for the right button to press and then after 10 minutes of repeating my very poor instructions and despite the other guy's heckling, off he went.

At this point, I started to say a few 'Hail Mary's for good measure and threw in an 'Our Father' for good measure waiting on pins and needles for what seemed an interminably long time when finally, the back door opened and there stood my unlikely hero.

I broke out into a big smile, my teeth chattering, my nose red and running, my eyes watering from the cold, but oh so happy! I shook his hand and thanked him again and again while he waved to his friends and stuck out his chest. He'll have a story to tell his family tonight!

I was shivering now, but there was my wet laundry still waiting, so I walked to the basement, put it on and climbed up the three flights of stairs to our apartment. I knocked on the door and Elowyn answered.

"Where were you?"

"Locked out!"

"Really?!?"

"Yes!" 

"You actually helped by buzzing in the construction guy". 

Then I told her the whole story and she looked amazed, then started laughing. "I'm going to tell Daddy!" 

"Why don't you make me a tea instead.' 'Plus I'm going to need two blankets to warm up". 

Moral of the story, take your phone, keys and wallet when leaving the apartment...even if it's just to do laundry.

Brrrrrrrrrr!













No comments:

Post a Comment