Sunday 25 December 2016

Christmas Eve Mass in Germany

I was determined to get the whole family to Christmas Eve Mass here in Ratingen, but it didn't quite work out the way I planned. 

First, I did my research and found out online that the big church in our town, St. Peter and Paul, was having two Masses on Christmas Eve; 6pm and midnight Mass with caroling and organ music 30 min before. We all left at 5:15 since it's only a one minute walk from us. We entered the church from the back only to discover people standing about and every seat was taken, EVERY ONE. And even the extra uncomfortable seats that looked like they were made for very short children were set up too and those were taken too. 

Steven grumbled that he wasn't standing for two hours and wouldn't stay without a seat. This started a mutiny and Elowyn declared that she too wasn't staying. I glared at both of them and discussed the situation with my sister who agreed that we could come back for the midnight Mass. Steven said he wasn't coming back as he had made the effort and I decided that if the atheist didn't want to return, so be it and we all left.

Back home, we made our seafood dinner with two courses and a break in between while we watched Christmas movies like, 'A Christmas Carol' and my favourite, 'It's a wonderful  Life'. We left our place at 10:30 giving A LOT of time to get there, secure seats and admire the nativity crib. Walking quickly we arrived to a darkened church and tried all the doors, but they were locked! WHAT?!? Could I have possibly have made a mistake with the time? We started walking back, but I had a feeling there had to be a Mass, so I said that I'd walk back and wait outside for a half hour since it was mild out anyway. Elowyn declared she was not waiting, so off I went on my own and waited. Other people were trying the doors of the church and started walking away in the same direction as the Protestant Church around the corner whose bells were ringing and bonging, calling people to church.

I decided to go too since I'd never seen the inside of that old church. I walked in and was given a Christmas booklet and entered the inner doors to discover the church lit with candles and with small lantern candles at the end of each pew. It was full of people, but there were still some seats, so I sat near the back in the middle after asking one man in German if the pew was free. I settled in and took in my surroundings.

The church was very plain and looked modern inside. The walls had been stuccoed in white. There were no familiar statues, no stations of the cross, no statue of Mary, the holy water receptacle was dry, no stained glass, and no pews for kneeling. There was no altar either, just stands for people to give a lecture. A big evergreen tree with lights stood in the corner, so that was encouraging, but the rest was very unfamiliar.

As I was looking around, I heard someone hissing, 'Kat, Kat!' I turned around and was glad to see Elowyn and Krista in a side pew to my right. I went to join them. The service began with a song, familiar in music, but not in words. The rest of the hour was spent with people from the congregation getting up and saying a reading. There were no responses from the people and everyone remained seated on the uncomfortable benches. There was a sermon 
that went on for a very very long time and I picked out words such as internet and facebook and a lot about sleeping. The minister must have mentioned it at least 10 times! 

I started to hear the bonging of the Catholic Church and knew that there was a Mass after all! At that moment I wanted to leave, but it would have been very rude to leave before the service was over.

Finally, the long sermon ended and Stille Nacht was sung and a Fröhe Weihnachten from the priest and out we went.

We hurried to the Catholic Church and found that there were still some seats left, so we sat down and allowed ourselves to gaze around us. It was magical. Strange yet familiar with an enormous Advent wreath crowning the altar high in the air with the strong scent of evergreens from the forest of trees gracing the back of the altar. There was a lifesize scene of the Nativity as well and red ribbons and candles cast a warm glow on the grey stone walls of this 13th century church. 

The Mass was in German, but the traditions were the same and we could follow along and knew where we were in the proceedings. Then the singing from the choir began and I felt goosebumps run across my shoulders as their lovely voices soared into the highest reaches of the vaulted ceilings in tune to the cellos, violins and trumpets who accompanied them. We sang along too. It was such a beautiful Mass. 

We left after it was all over with a warm glow in our hearts. Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment