Tuesday 26 July 2016

Day Two in Europe

Ww woke up at 6am to drag our sorry selves out of bed to meet with our relocation gal, Klaudia at 8:30am. Had breakfast in hotel as it's included.  The meat salad was to die forl! And those amazing Euro crispy buns!!!! Mm mm!

Anyway, spent the whole morning in interviews registering at city hall as German citizens, then deciding which tax zone we fall into and getting a number for that, then getting Steven a residency permit not contingent on me being here. Two departments for that and we had appointments. Everything is by appointment. You can't just walze in there with a question. 

Then we had a bit of time and went for a coffee on the Konigsallee, but the Greek waiter tried to rip us off 5 Euro and Klaudia told him off. Steven said it's a great scam as he did it himself back in the day with coffees and no one checks their bill. Karma will bite you in the ass every time! $50 for 3 coffees, 1 chocolate milk and a bottle of water to share.  Yeah!

After that interchange we went to the Deutsche Bank to get three new bank accounts, and apply for a MasterCard. Then we had to pay our landlord over 5000 Euros and also our gas, TV and radio license, parking etc for three months. It was initially a huge financial hit. Steven needs all this to get his company car and then will need a German licence. 

We also will make an appt to see our apartment and measure windows for curtains. Then a trip to Ikea will be in order. 

I was totally exhausted and feverish with flu or cold and literally came back to hotel and collapsed into bed and slept like a log for 4 hours until Steven woke me to say he's taking E out for dinner. Love, love , love the German down pillows and duvets! I asked the staff to indulge me with for two more pillows; heaven!

They're gone now for dinner and I still feel very weak. The weather here was a lovely 21C, but for me I kept feeling hot then cold. Can't find my iPad and too weak to search for it. Maybe tonight.

We have to go to the main train station tomorrow and get train passes for all of us.

Hoping I recover soon from this illness. All that packing and purging and stress from my classroom and house took more of a physical toll on me than I realized. I ache all over. 

There is a big summer festival happening on the Rhine near us starting on the 15th which is the weekend. They're starting to set things up now, so that'll be something fun to do.

I brought along a cross that Ruthanne gave me and we didn't lose any luggage, nor was it damaged in any way. God's on our side!  Have Rosary beads too for good measure. Forgot all of my vitamins though. Oh well. 

Elowyn has her German interview in August, so she has to prepare. She was watching a German telenovela and she knew exactly what was happening. Now she has to learn to speak it in conversation.

That's it in a nutshell. Will make myself a Neocitron...if I can find it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment